Saturday, February 2, 2013

Trying to Remember

The last month has been really interesting. Today particularly. I have been thinking back trying to remember things from my life. growing up, who I was then and who I am now. Things have been foggy. It is hard to remember back very far. The things I do remember were the hard things that I had to work through so i thought about them a lot, so it is easier to remember those times. Or times and things that I wish I never had to face.

Today I wish that I could remember more happy times. Specific happy times. I have times recently within the last couple of years, that I remember really well. Coming home for Christmas. Spending time with Joslyn and Reid, Mom and Dad. Going to Germany spending time with Geneil. Being an EFY Counselor. Teaching my favorite group of students. Graduating from BYU. And I faintly remember other times before that, but it is hard to grasp them. I am happy now.  But why can't I remember those other times too. 

I feel odd today. In so many ways, and I don't know the answer or reason. I dont know why it is hard to remember. I know that I got a concussion, but I am tired of chalking all of this memory trouble to that or my headaches or me asking someone the same question 5 or 6 times.

I feel so strange. I graduated from college? What? This was never going to come but here it is. This is dream like, but so real. I am scared I will wake up and it will all be gone. I am happy with who I am and I love myself again, one of the few times I have really loved myself my whole life. Is it just going to go away like it did before? Am I going to lose my best friends like I have every time I get them? 

I guess that what I am trying to say is that life is hard. Sometimes it is hard to understand and sometimes it is hard to know why or what is happening, but it is ok. Maybe today was a hard day and January was a good but hard month. But it is ok. Reality will come back sooner or later, and I pray everyday that all those happy memories will as well. 


1 comment:

Mom E. said...

I have been at a similar place before...and it is a bit unnerving....and when memories DO come back I think "how coiuld I have ever forgotten this?" So writing them down is a good thing to do. Some things are better remembered in a "recently acquired reality" and that makes them a little easier to deal with...a happy filter, if you will. I remember fun happy Anna times, the little girl on the table in just her diaper and white tennis shoes....dipping her hand into the syrup pitcher and sucking the syrup off....and those same litle white shoes and legs poking out from under the car, next to your Dad's legs...."What doin' Dad?" so curious and so observant. 'Anna in the water boots, all the time....Anna in the Pink Roper's that Katelyn Bauermeister gave you when she was little. Anna in the elbow and nee and wrist pads roller blading, anna riding her red tricycle, Anna with a hat on....backward...every day long beofer it was a gang thing...Anna's happy smiling face, that strawberry blonde hair and chubby cheeks...."Maybe later...." while she was buy eating jam on a muffin...NOT the muffin, just licking the Jam off and putting more on....Anna giving permission to her older sisters about things they asked to do...Anna riding her bike down the hil on the North side of the house, while all the boys who came over would crash and burn going down that hill...LOLOLOL ....so hilariously amazing...that big satisfied confident grin...And MANY more happy memories! So glad I got to see you grow up so happy! cutest little porcelain complexion, you were my "Dolly" and still are. Rocking on the hammock isnging to the stars in the summer nights....oh, we need a memory night at our family reunion! I remember you.....I love you.....